Phlebotomy and Testing Technician
Phlebotomy and Testing Technician
The Phlebotomy and Testing Technician (PTT) represents the face of our company to patients who come to ARCpoint Labs of Monterey Bay (APLMB). The PTT draws quality blood samples from patients and prepares those specimens for lab testing while following established practices and procedures. The PTT has direct contact with patients and creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence while explaining procedures to patients and drawing blood specimens in a skillful, safe and accurate manner. The PTT will respect our clients and APLMB coworkers and uphold our company values of Accuracy, Reliability, and Confidentiality in all aspects of their work. Successful applicants will work in our Monterey lab.
Job Accountabilities (Responsibilities)
· Collect specimens according to established procedures. This includes, but not limited to: blood specimens, drug screens, and DNA samples.
· Research test/client information and confirm and verify all written and electronic orders by utilizing lab technology systems or directory of services.
· Responsible for completing all data entry requirements accurately including data entry of patient registration; entry of test order from requisition or pulling order from database.
· Enter billing information and collect payments when required, including the safeguarding of assets and credit card information.
· Data entry and processing specimens including: labeling, centrifuging, splitting, and freezing specimens as required by test order.
· Safeguarding of clients’ protected information, including Protected Health Information as defined by HIPAA and company policy.
· Perform departmental-related clerical duties when assigned such as data entry, inventory, stock supplies, and answer phones when needed.
· Read, understand and comply with departmental policies, protocols and procedures and ensure that all staff members follow instructions.
· Perform verification of patient demographic info / initials including patient signature post-venipuncture to verify tubes were labeled in their presence and that the name on the label is correct.
· Assist with compilation and submission of monthly statistics and data.
· Maintain all appropriate phlebotomy logs in a timely manner and based on frequency, such as maintenance logs and temperature logs.
· Complete training courses and keep up-to-date with the latest phlebotomy techniques.
· Stay up-to-date on company communications.
· Ability to provide quality, error free work in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to work independently with minimal on-site supervision.
· Excellent phlebotomy skills to include pediatric and geriatric.
· Flexible and available staffing needs; may include part-time or over-time hours.
· Committed to all APLMB policies and procedures including company dress code, Employee Health & Safety, and APLMB customer care priorities.
· Must have reliable transportation, valid driver license, and clean driving record.
· Must demonstrate superior customer focus; ability to communicate openly and transparently with peers, supervisors and patients; ability to accelerate and embrace change; and knowledge of our business.
· Must be curious and committed to improvement, both of their own skills and of the procedures, policies, and technologies of APLMB.
· All employees must pass a drug test for illicit substances as a condition of employment.
· Bilingual English/Spanish highly desirable.
· Lift light to moderately heavy objects. The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects. Objects in the weight range of 1 to 15 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects in the weight range of 16 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally and objects in the weight range of 26 to 40 pounds are seldom lifted and carried. Objects exceeding 41 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
· Must be able to sit/ stand for long periods of time; long hours of eye/hand coordination.
· Must be able to perform repetitive tasks with dominant hand frequently to constantly throughout the day.
· Extensive use of phone and PC.
· Fine dexterity with hands/steadiness.
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Medical training: Phlebotomy certification required.
· One year or more phlebotomy experience preferred. Compensation will be commensurate with job experience and skills.
· Customer service in a retail or service environment preferred.
· Keyboard/data entry proficiency