Family Service Agency
SUICIDE PREVENTION SERVICE OF THE CENTRAL COAST
Job Title: Community Outreach and Suicide Prevention Awareness Educator
Under the direction of the Community Engagement Manager and in consultation with the Program Director, the Community Outreach and Suicide Prevention Awareness Educator is responsible for scheduling and conducting outreach presentations, trainings, and attending events and for general service delivery of suicide awareness and prevention services throughout Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties.
- 32-40 hours/week
- $22-$24.00 per hour, plus additional $3.00/hour Spanish/English bilingual differential.
- Active Outreach/Networking to develop and grow relations/collaboration with community organizations, schools, businesses and other relevant entities.
- Conduct suicide prevention awareness educational presentations and trainings for organizations, schools, and service providers throughout the tri-county area, utilizing the SPS curricula/materials and procedures established for these activities.
- Occasionally, provide brief individual support and referral to attendees at outreach activities.
- Coordinate with co-workers on a calendar and schedule of outreach activities; respond to scheduling requests in a timely manner.
- Track activity and statistical and demographic documentation of presentations, trainings, and other outreach activities.
- Maintain the program’s ongoing professional relationships with educators, community organization personnel, etc. to support the continuation and focused expansion of outreach activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
● Responsible, reliable, self-motivated, and possess excellent time management skills.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience with public speaking is preferred.
● Ability to compassionately identify with and respond to personal and emotional issues.
● Comfortable working with databases.
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
● Must have Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree (or equivalent) with two years of related experience or high school diploma/GED with four years of related experience.
● Ability to work remotely.
● Ability to maintain flexible hours required (some evenings and weekends).
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to engage with diverse communities
● Successful completion of Let’s Talk About It!, SafeTALK and/or ASIST training
● Creative, outgoing and takes initiative.
● Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor.
● Valid driver’s license, available and reliable transportation, and be able to travel throughout Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties.
● Reside in Santa Cruz, Monterey or San Benito County or surrounding county.
● At least 21 years of age
● Strong communication skills
● Ability to use sound and ethical judgment.
● Previous community education experience preferred, but not necessary.
● Ability to pass background check and TB clearance.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before community groups or employees of agency
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Bachelor’s Degree or Associate Degree with two years of related experience, or High School graduate with four years of related experience.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Laptops, headsets and other essential technology will be provided.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Family Service Agency of the Central Coast is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $22.00 - $24.00 per hour
Expected hours: 32 per week
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Choose your own hours
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Santa Cruz, CA: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Santa Cruz, CA